Friday, July 27, 2012

Totem Poles

Today we learned all about Totem Poles found in Canada. We looked at some examples of totem poles all around Canada and we loved the ones found in British Columbia, which is on the West Coast of Canada.

We noticed that totem poles almost always have animals and people on them.

We watched a video on how to draw one and then did our own, step by step. We had to really concentrate in order to know where to put what.

We will post some pictures of our totem poles tomorrow once they are finished.

Watch this space!
Room14

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I am interested on why you think they have animals and people on their totem poles? Has this got something to do with history and the physical environment, if so why is this so important to the indigenous people of Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Room14,

    After reading your blog I went directly to Google and sought out Totem poles. They are very beautiful! I noticed a couple of things. The first is: they are similar to Maori carvings and serve the same purpose. The second is: the carvings are mostly symmetrical about a mid line. Which led me ponder symmetry in animals. I tried very hard to think of an asymmetrical animal and came up with only one, a fish called a Flounder. I read that our bodies are mostly symmetrical too, but there is one VERY important organ inside our bodies, it is on the left side, but not the right. And because of where it is, our left lung - which we'd expect to be the mirror image of our right lung, is actually a bit smaller so the mystery organ can fit in - can you guess what the very SPECIAL organ is? Can you think of another asymmetrical animal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I visited British Columbia a few years ago I saw some wonderful totem poles. I wonder what animals you would use on your totem pole to represent you. I am looking forward to seeing your totem poles.

    Sandie

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive